Sunday, February 26, 2012

Strengths and Weaknesses

I am an extremely and fortunate person on so many levels.  Just when I feel sorry for myself, I read something from someone else's journey,  that makes me feel like a whiny bitch.  So all I can do is capitalize on my strengths, and work on my weaknesses.  Here's what I know about myself:

Strengths

1.  I have the BEST, most supportive husband in the world.  We've been married 20 years, no kids.  He's actually started this journey with me.  I can't overemphasize the importance to not be alone in your journey.  Get some sort of support system if you don't have one.

2.  I have a great job with a great income.  In case anyone is curious, I'm a sales and marketing executive over about 70 hotels in 10 states.  I love what I do.  Never a dull moment, every day is different, and just like any job that deals with the public, always good stories to tell.  There really isn't any such thing as a "normal" person.  We all have our "stuff" that's weird to someone.

3.  I am physically capable to exercise.  Some aren't so lucky.  Yeah, my knees are killing me right now and I'm almost always sore, but very fortunate that I'm able to exercise, and I actually like it ok.

4.  Smart enough and have the educational background and the love of research to know what good choices are food wise.  Open minded enough to know I have a lot to learn and want to continue to learn.

Weaknesses

1.  Dealt a bad hand of DNA.  Can't change the DNA, but can definitely improve the outcome.  I seem to have the metabolism of a slug, but I'm hoping the strength training will help to improve it.

2.  My job does involve travel.  While less travel than I once had, it is definitely easier to stick to watching calories when you know how it was made at home versus choosing in a restaurant.  Also the workout routine takes a hit when you're out on the road.  While there are usually exercise rooms at the hotels, many times they are not the best maintained (and this is coming from a hotel person), or for whatever reason can find other excuses for not working out.  Travel life is not glamourous just to set the record straight.

3.  To date, my history with willpower to do the right or better choice when it comes to food, has been an issue.

4.  There is a price for having a successful career.  Many times the whole life balance thing gears more towards work than my personal life.  I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment